Job Title: Development Officer (Portfolio I)
Reports to: Development Director, Institutional
Classification: Fulltime, Exempt
Date: February 2017
The primary responsibility of the Development Officer at Houston Grand Opera is to identify, cultivate, solicit, and provide stewardship to donors and prospects. With a significant emphasis on identifying new corporate sponsorships, this position will directly increase overall development efforts and operating support through establishing new and advancing existing relationships.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of assigned prospects and donors; the majority of donors and prospects will be corporations, and a portion may be comprised of individual and foundation donors and prospects
• Personally meet with corporate donors and prospects on a regular basis to qualify for support, and for cultivation and solicitation
• Manage the activity and prospecting efforts of the Corporate Council, a set of supporters representing HGO’s corporate partners who can make key introductions to corporate prospects
• Develop and manage projects and programs to encourage increased financial support from corporate donors
• Lead project to identify, cultivate, and solicit individual prospects affiliated with HGO’s corporate partners
• Work closely with Communications Manager on corporate proposal workflow
• Work closely with Information Manager to oversee recognition, stewardship, and benefits fulfillment for corporate supporters
• Staff events for corporate partners and assist with other development events as needed
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; advanced degree/certification a plus. 3+ years professional development experience, preferably in non-profit organizations, including significant responsibility for revenue generation. Proven success in face to face solicitation, in managing a large donor or client portfolio, and in providing excellent service to donors or clients. Knowledge of principles of fundraising. Excellent writing, editing, and research skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
The applicant must possess strong interpersonal skills and a persuasive communication style, as well as be skilled in identifying and soliciting new gifts from potential donors and increased gifts from current donors. Must be able to generate concise written material for use in proposals and reports. Final candidates will be asked to generate a writing sample. Proven ability to work under pressure, meet aggressive deadlines, and work as a team player. Knowledge of opera is a plus. A passion for the performing arts is essential. Some evening and weekend work is required.
To apply for this position, please use the website associated with this job posting. RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
more info: http://houstongrandopera.applytojob.com/apply/JBkHApPQRQ/Development-Officer-Portfolio-I?source=TX+Commission+on+the+Arts