Job Title: Director of Development
Reports To: Vice President & Chief Development Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt, salary
The Director of Development is a seasoned, “roll-up-your-sleeves” development professional. This position manages all aspects of securing funds from donors, sponsors, corporations and government entities for ongoing operating needs and designated special projects. The Director of Development works with departmental staff to identify, cultivate and solicit donors and donor prospects with the goal of increasing the number of donors and sponsors on a consistent and repeatable basis.
• Proactively prepares and implements a plan for creating and expanding annual fundraising and sponsorship programs.
• Assists in the preparation of annual goals, objectives, and strategies to identify donors, prospects and subscribers.
• Aggressively fundraises to attain annual revenue goals for operating, special projects, annual fundraising event(s) and education program.
• Oversees the preparation of grants and final reports for foundation, corporate, and government funders.
• Develops meaningful relationships with current and prospective members, major donors and sponsors.
• Develops and implements retention and upgrade strategies to move donors through the giving continuum.
• Participates in execution of events and programs in support of development activities.
• Engages key volunteers and effectively utilizes events and other activities to move solicitations forward.
• Qualifies prospects for potential major gift capacity and interest. Curates and schedules appropriate involvement of the CDO, CEO, and other key staff members.
• Oversees prospect research as needed for potential foundation, corporate, and government funding opportunities.
• Works to identify and secure corporate sponsorships and memberships.
• Crafts customized proposals that creatively and distinctly communicate unique opportunities to targeted prospects.
• Introduces The Tobin’s assets and marketing capabilities to the prospect and demonstrates the branding values of The Tobin to create unique marketing opportunities.
• Successfully negotiates and closes sponsorships.
• Supervises and directs two Development staff members including the Development Associate and Donor Relations Coordinator.
• Creates the annual plan for Development Department’s special projects, events and stewardship.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Must have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three to five years of proven experience in direct fundraising.
• Strong persuasive writing and budgetary skills.
• Analysis, synthesis and clear communication of information through original writing.
• Demonstrated record of success in generating significant commitments from donors, sponsors and corporations and foundations.
• Highly motivated self-starter, a hard worker with a high energy level; a “doer” with a willingness to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of development activities.
• A visionary and strategic thinker who is goal oriented.
• Ability to initiate and build relationships with prospective donors and interact via telephone and in person with funders, must be an excellent networker and negotiator.
• Possess high standards of integrity, credibility, and reliability to articulate the needs, opportunities, and aspirations of The Tobin with clarity and enthusiasm.
• Possess ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet short deadlines with limited supervision.
• Works well independently and in a group setting, a true team player.
• Demonstrated knowledge of methods, practices and procedures for obtaining information about the giving programs of corporations and foundations.
• Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances.