Job Title: Prospect Research and Data Specialist
Reports To: Director of Advancement Operations
Classification: Fulltime, Exempt
Date: January 2017
The Prospect Research and Data Specialist manages the systems and procedures that drive the fundraising activity of Houston Grand Opera prospects and donors (individuals, corporations, and foundations). The Specialist serves as the primary “moves” manager on all prospect/donor activity for the Development department. Providing forward-thinking data analysis, this individual will work closely with all calls officers to identify and tier prospects for engagement and cultivation. As the primary researcher for the Development calls officer team, the Specialist gathers and distributes information that guides annual giving, major gift and prospecting strategies. In collaboration with the Advancement Operations team, the Specialist supports the fundraising efforts of a 13+ calls officer team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Identifies new prospects and produces a pipeline of prospects for future cultivation and solicitation.
• Manages the Individual donor moves management system in Tessitura; establishes and maintains effective processes and procedures to ensure the quality and consistency of prospect tracking.
• References online and print information of public record to assess financial capacity, philanthropic priorities, and connections to HGO; analyzes, interprets and summarizes financial information for the purpose of wealth assessment.
• Reviews local and national news and business publications, keeping abreast of prospect information as well as local and regional business developments.
• Collaborates with Database Administrator and Director of Advancement Operations to:
o Standardize and systemize routine reports, dashboards, and reporting metrics
o Design and customize data reports
• Creates and updates customized donor profiles for use by development staff.
• Serves as department liaison with electronic screening vendors, and as department expert on its utilities, analyses, and management of data; recommends additional data collection and reporting requirements as needed.
• Optimizes and organizes calls staff portfolio assignments; creates business rules, according to best practices, for the assignment and management of portfolio activity for individual prospects and donors.
• Organizes and participates in weekly and monthly meetings toward augmenting individual, corporate and foundation giving for Houston Grand Opera.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, or related field. Three years related experience developing and maintaining prospect research databases; non-profit arts experience preferred. Demonstrated ability to organize large-scale, detailed projects in a database environment/capacity required. Familiarity with data mining tools such as Wealth Engine and Lexis-Nexis is required. Ability to put together concise and relevant written information. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and projects. Must thrive in a highly-productive, fast-paced environment. Requires some night and weekend work.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
Ability to anticipate needs of others and motivate (sideways manage) colleagues to meet and exceed goals. Data-driven mind with knowledge of or experience in data analysis, predictive modeling, statistics, and data segmentation. Experience with Tessitura, SQL, and statistical software is ideal.
To apply for this position, please use the website listed with this job posting. RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.