Title: Instructor of Ballet
Reports To: Artistic Director
The mission of Ballet Lubbock is to change lives through the transformative power of dance education and training. We view our classical ballet curriculum for ages three through adult, performance season, and community engagement activities in local schools and community centers as a means to transform our community – providing life-skills and meaningful experiences to last for generations.
This position encompasses approximately 30 teaching hours and additional hours of school and production support per week, concentrated during production times. Duties and hours may fluctuate in order to meet the needs of the job.
Duties will include instruction in the School, Summer Workshop, and Community Engagement programming as agreed upon together with the Artistic Director:
• Structure and teach ballet classes following the School Curriculum
• Maintain appropriate staff/student relationships
• Assist with rehearsals as assigned
• Attend demonstrations, auditions, and lectures
• Produce written assessments on student progress
• Record and report on student attendance
• Attend teacher meetings and training usually within normal working hours but also others that fall before the start, or at the end of each term
• Record and copy the Artistic Director on all communication with dancers and families
• Any other duties as may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job.
• Experience of teaching ballet to students aged 9 years and up
• Past professional performing career and/or Pre-professional training that proves equal to knowledge and training
• Proactive and flexible approach to work, willing to be involved in all areas of the School’s dance initiatives
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to build good supportive relationships with students, colleagues and the wider dance community
• Flexible attitude towards duties and working patterns in order to fulfill the requirements of the role
• Empathy with and a commitment to the aims and ethos of the School.
• Basic knowledge of Windows PC systems and Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Outlook or willing to undergo training
• Able to produce concise written reports for parent and student communication
• Some knowledge of the Balanchine technique
• Experience teaching modern and/or Contemporary dance
• Has seen a Ballet Lubbock performance
• Our ideal candidate has a passion for dance education and community. Someone who is dedicated to dance education with a strong vision for school development and engagement.
The offered salary range is $45,000 – $55,000 plus access to an employee health plan, faculty development support, and a competitive vacation package to be utilized when the organization is dark.
If this description calls out to you, send to firstname.lastname@example.org and Yvonne@balletlubbock.org:
● Cover Letter with a statement of why you are interested in the position
● Video of you Teaching with student(s) permission or a short video demonstration of your teaching methods, syllabus or sample combinations with explained corrections.
● If available, video of you dancing
● Salary Expectations
Candidates will have an initial interview via video conferencing. Finalists will travel at Ballet Lubbock’s expense to Lubbock for guest teaching and in-person interviews.