Contemporary at Blue Star
Application Deadline: January 30, 2023
Contemporary at Blue Star, San Antonio’s first and longest-running space for contemporary art, seeks a full-time Development Associate. The qualified candidate has demonstrated fundraising experience within individual giving, membership, and special events, with experience in the arts a plus. The Development Associate has a profound understanding of and ability to develop and implement fundraising strategies and campaigns that increase the public’s access to the Contemporary’s exhibitions, programs, fundraisers, and initiatives.
The Development Associate works closely with the Development Manager to create and implement the Contemporary’s community-centric fundraising strategies, which encompass cultivation and stewardship of individual donors and members, foundation and corporate funders, government grant opportunities, and special event supporters.
The Development Associate exudes enthusiasm when communicating about the Contemporary, is a creative and proactive problem-solver, manages multiple projects at a time, and enjoys engaging with the Contemporary’s community of artists, students, educators, donors, visitors, and volunteers.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of communications and fundraising best practices and industry trends in service of the Contemporary’s nonprofit mission, core values, and brand standards
• Build and strengthen relationships with donors, clearly and passionately translating how the Contemporary serves the community
• Develop and implement fundraising strategies to grow the Contemporary’s donor base, with a focus on giving campaigns, membership, and special events
• Plan and execute special events, from membership gatherings to major fundraisers, for 10-500 people in collaboration with the Development Manager and colleagues
• Prepare and maintain digital and paper donor records, from solicitation to acknowledgement, ensuring donor communication is timely and accurate
• Evaluate existing processes and metrics to develop and implement strategies to increase opportunities for new donor cultivation and donor stewardship, with regular evaluative reporting
• Demonstrated investment in professional development and continuing education
• Collaborate with staff to develop and implement annual campaigns and fundraising plans around events like Giving Tuesday and The Big Give SA
• Completion of other tasks as assigned to fulfill the Contemporary’s mission
• Exceptional attention to detail and records management, with demonstrated understanding of confidentiality and ethical best practices
• Possess excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills. Multi-lingual, highly preferred
• Knowledgeable in standard computer and Mac OS applications and programs, WordPress, Dropbox, Office 365, Mailchimp, Square, and Adobe Creative Suite
• Familiarity with implementing moves management processes inside of donor databases or constituent resource management software (the Contemporary uses NeonCRM)
• Ability to represent the Contemporary with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to the Contemporary’s policies, and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner
• Ability to work within budgetary restrictions and ability to create budgets for future initiatives
• Demonstrated organizational, proactive problem-solving, and task management skills
• Demonstrated respect of the Contemporary’s diverse groups of colleagues, volunteers, and audience members
• Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time (up to 4 hours at a time)
• Attention to detail and the ability to stay alert for long periods of time in a quiet environment
• Punctuality, dependability, flexibility, and adaptability in a dynamic event-driven environment
• Knowledge of San Antonio’s arts and culture community, preferred
• Strong customer service skills preferred
• Must be able to lift up to 30lbs
This is a full-time salaried position in a hybrid work environment. Compensation package includes $45,000 annually, paid vacation and sick leave, and employer-provided health, dental, and vision insurance. This role requires occasional availability for weekend and evening programs and events. The Development Associate position is exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The Contemporary is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Applicants are evaluated according to their experience, talent, and qualifications for the job, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, political affiliation, age, genetic information, veteran status, or disability.
About Contemporary at Blue Star
Contemporary at Blue Star presents exhibitions and education programs with artists from San Antonio and around the world sharing their global perspectives that encourage understanding, empathy, change, and action, fulfilling our mission to inspire, nurture, and innovate. Like most non-collecting contemporary art spaces, the Contemporary contributes fresh insight and perspective on larger issues affecting society and culture by highlighting trends, movements, and conversations happening in art. The Contemporary is a forward-thinking, inclusive, and artist-centric organization, with a focus on education through the lens of contemporary art and a commitment to surprising our visitors and exceeding their expectations.
The Contemporary is San Antonio’s first WAGE-certified organization, committed to transparent and equitable payments to artists for their creative contributions to exhibitions and education outreach programs. Through its commitment to artists with a social practice, tuition-free youth arts education programs, and community-centric fundraising, the Contemporary is dedicated to equity and social justice in all its endeavors.
Applicant will submit a cover letter and a CV/resume in PDF format via email to Elaine Leahy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants that move forward will be asked to submit names and contact information for three references. Candidates who need to apply through alternate methods may contact Elaine Leahy at the email address above or (210) 227-6960 to make arrangements prior to the deadline. Incomplete applications or those submitted through other channels will not be reviewed. The successful applicant will be subject to a background check.
Application deadline is January 30, 2023 or until filled.