Development Officer II
Reports to: Director of Development, Acquisitions
Classification: Fulltime, Exempt
Revision date: June 2021
As a Development Officer at Houston Grand Opera, you will join an energetic, high-performing Development team, passionate about securing the future of opera through the generosity of our donors. This position will be specifically focused on identifying new likely donors from current subscribers and single ticket-buyers, qualifying their likelihood and ability to contribute, building relationships with them, and soliciting their support. Our team places a strong emphasis on increasing the number of Patron-level donors, who contribute $5,000 or more annually.
Additionally, Development Officer II will assist with the management of HGO’s National Patron and National Trustee donor programs, working with current members to expand the base of support outside the Houston area.
This position requires someone who is personable, energetic, motivated, hard-working, disciplined, and team oriented. Candidates must be comfortable soliciting for money, masterful in building personal relationships, and highly organized.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
• Obtain face-to-face visits with HGO subscribers to document their relationship with the company along with other biographical details, in the hopes of identifying those with greater interest and capacity for deeper HGO involvement, building and executing a cultivation plan, and soliciting their financial support
• Work with current HGO Patrons, Trustees, and Board members to identify and leverage their relationships in the identification of new potential donors to HGO
• Assist in managing National Patrons Circle events and stewardship of National Trustee advisory group to utilize peer-to-peer connections and increase donor giving
• Make daily thank you calls to new-to-file donors, to determine their impetus for giving, and to screen their potential for greater levels of support
• Maintain detailed and up-to-date records of all donor activity in Tessitura, HGO’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM), using Plans and Donor Information Sheets
• Assist the Development team in staffing special events and performances, as required
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with at least two years professional experience required; non-profit or sales environment desired. Proven success in face-to-face solicitations and relationship building. Knowledge of principles of fundraising and sales techniques. Experience with Microsoft Office and relevant fundraising software, preferably Tessitura.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
This position requires excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including excellent listening skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Evening and weekend work hours required. Enthusiastic belief in the mission of Houston Grand Opera. Familiarity with opera is a plus, but not required. An active curiosity and willingness to learn about the art form can be sufficient.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera’s job board at https://www.houstongrandopera.org/work RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job related disability, or marital status.