Conspirare, a Grammy® award winning professional choir under the direction of Craig Hella Johnson, is seeking its next Director of Development. This position is responsible for cultivating and sustaining relationships within the Austin community and beyond. Funds raised will support the work of a world-class arts organization that performs locally, regionally, and nationally and has a successful track record in recording on major labels. The Director establishes relationships with current and prospective individual donors, foundations and corporations and will be personally responsible for the annual giving program and maintaining government support. This position will develop and cultivate a portfolio of donors in tandem with the Conspirare leadership.
Conspirare’s strategic plan calls for an increasing national and international presence – while maintaining a devoted base of support in Austin and Central Texas – and the individual in this position will have the opportunity to grow with the company and take on significant new responsibilities as the plan progresses. This position is crafted for a professional fundraiser with a broad base of development experience and the ability to think strategically. The Director of Development reports to the Managing Director. The director works closely with the Resource Development Committee of the board and will help mobilize the board in Conspirare’s stewardship and fundraising efforts. The DoD supervises a 30 hour per-week Development Specialist, contract grant writer, and development functions managed by the Conspirare Concierge. The Director of Development play a key role in realizing Conspirare’s vision to create world-class dynamic choral art. The ideal candidate is eager to build upon an established pipeline and sustainable giving program to create and implement a donor-centric fundraising vision that includes opportunities to support artistic collaborations with guest artists, composers, and directors, while also building organizational infrastructure. This candidate is ready to create and utilize cutting-edge strategies and build upon existing season and concert sponsorship programs. Arts background strongly preferred.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Oversee contributed income for the organization totaling up to $1,300,000 annually
• Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and contributors
• Manage the annual giving campaign
• Supervise the development team
• Maintain grant calendars for application and reporting deadlines; manage part-time grant writer
• Help conceptualize and develop corporate, foundation, and government grant proposals to local and national funders; research and cultivate new institutional funding sources; assist with compiling and writing reports for institutional funders
• Direct cultivation efforts of key board members and staff to carry out overall solicitation strategy
• Serve as a liaison to the Board’s Resource Development Committee, preparing assignments, agendas and priorities; communicate regularly with Conspirare leadership, providing monthly progress reports
• Organize cultivation events and other special events locally, regionally and beyond (galas, opening nights, closed rehearsal receptions, etc…)
• Work closely with finance and other departments to obtain and/or develop project budgets; obtain copies of audits, IRS Form 990s, and other required supplemental materials; and maintain the company’s presence on Guidestar and other comparable philanthropic outlets
• Regularly provide income reports and forecasts, including cash flow, to Conspirare leadership
• Work with Conspirare leadership in establishing annual and project budgets
• Create and manage Conspirare’s annual development plan
• Play a leadership role in planning for future Conspirare capital campaigns
• Perform other duties as assigned
A minimum of five to seven years of progressively responsible development experience, including time spent as an annual fund manager and major gifts officer; management experience also required. Proven success in fundraising with a demonstrated track record of exceeding budgets and expectations. Must be proficient at all elements of the cultivation process including a consistent track record of closing solicitations. Knowledge of the Austin fundraising community including corporate, government, foundation, and individual giving. Must be driven, a self–starter, and be well organized with excellent interpersonal skills; imaginative and innovative to create new and unique fundraising opportunities. Must appreciate the art form of choral music and translate that appreciation into realized support of the organization. CFRE preferred. Arts background
preferred. Proficiency in DonorPerfect or other fundraising software, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required. Ability to attend performances, cultivation and fundraising events, many of which are on the evenings and weekends, is required.
The base salary for this position is $70,000 per year plus benefits. Negotiable, based upon experience.
Conspirare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Development” in the subject field.