The East Texas Symphony Orchestra Association, located in Tyler, Texas, is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Director.
• The Executive Director is selected by and reports to the Symphony Board of Directors through the Board Chairperson.
• The Executive Director will oversee and be responsible for all staff as defined by the ETSOA Board of Directors, as well as volunteers as required.
• The Executive Director will have a leadership role in creating a vision for the ETSOA and take a primary role in fundraising with the Board.
• The Executive Director will lead in the development and implementation of a master plan that supports the artistic, audience development, community engagement, financial, and public relation objectives in accordance with Board objectives and policies.
Employee Status: Full-Time
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter expressing their interest to East Texas Symphony Orchestra Executive Director Search at email@example.com. Resumes will start being reviewed on December 15, 2020.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Administration and Human Resources
• Develop and implement current and long-range administrative and personnel planning with the Board to ensure that the organization is effectively structured and competently staffed
• Prepare and revise job descriptions, employee handbook, and policies as needed
• Recruit, select, supervise, promote, discipline, evaluate, and terminate paid staff in accordance with legal requirements
• Maintain required legal documents and adequate insurance to protect orchestra property and personnel
• Maintain payroll records with accountant and Vice Chair of Finance
• Prepare and obtain board approval for annual operating budget
• Manage the organization within approved budget
• Oversee monthly financials with the accountant and Vice Chair of Finance
Operational and Strategic Planning
• Work with Music Director on the selection of guest artists, guest conductors, and programs to meet ETSOA objectives
• Develop and implement an annual master plan for orchestra operations, engaging all necessary resources.
• Oversee Marketing/Audience Engagement staff regarding campaigns, goals, and leveraging of social media platforms
• Oversee concert production staff, assisting with concert hall leases, rental spaces, rehearsals, equipment, and other needs
• Negotiate contracts and arrangements for guest artists within approved budget
• Negotiate musician’s union Master Agreement in consultation with the Board
Community Relations and Fundraising
• Together with the Music Director and Board develop strategic partnerships with corporations, individuals, city leaders, school districts, East Texas Youth Orchestra, Young Audiences, and local art organizations
• Initiate fundraising activities such as annual fund drive, community and government grants, corporate sponsorships, public and private foundations, and special events
EAST TEXAS SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SEARCH
Experience with management of a business or nonprofit corporation; previous experience as an orchestra executive director preferred
Experience creating and working within the scope of an operating budget
Experience in effective time management related to oversight of numerous annual events
Experience and/or working knowledge of music and musicians
Proficiency in public speaking
Excellent communications skills, written and verbal
Skilled in building consensus and positive interaction with others
Reside in Tyler
Passion for orchestral music
Ability to thrive in a multifaceted, challenging job
Ability to embrace and lead change
The East Texas Symphony Orchestra has played a vital role in the cultural life of Tyler (TX) and the surrounding region since 1936. From its humble beginnings as a community orchestra, ETSO has grown over the decades to become one of the region’s finest performing ensembles. Now comprised of professional musicians from throughout the area, including the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, ETSO presents its season of orchestral concerts at the 2000-seat UT Tyler Cowan Center. The orchestra’s growing reputation under the direction of Maestro Richard Lee has attracted world-class guest artists including cellist Yo-Yo Ma, banjo legend Bela Fleck, percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie, Grammy-winning violinist Augustin Hadelich, and the ensemble Time for Three, to name but a few. The orchestra also partners with area educators to offer meaningful programs for students, including serving as an ongoing partner in the Carnegie Hall Link Up program for 3rd-5th grade students. The East Texas Symphony Orchestra continues to strive for new ways to fulfill its mission to engage and inspire our community through exceptional music education and performance.
Known as the “Rose Capital” for its long history of rose production, cultivation, and processing, Tyler, Texas, is located ninety minutes east of Dallas. The largest city in the region, Tyler boasts a population of just over 100,000, with the inclusion of the immediate surrounding area raising that number to a quarter of a million residents. The city serves as the educational, medical, and business hub of the region. This includes three institutions of higher education: Texas College, Tyler Junior College and the University of Texas at Tyler. Its growing healthcare industry includes Christus Mother Frances Hospital System and UT Health East Texas. Along with the amenities of city life, Tyler also is conveniently located to enjoy the natural beauties of East Texas, including the areas many lakes, parks, and trails.