Blue Star Contemporary, San Antonio’s first and longest-running space for contemporary art, seeks a part-time MOSAIC Studio Coordinator to coordinate and maintain the MOSAIC Studio and the daily operations of the MOSAIC Student Artist Program.
The successful candidate is positive, professional, passionate, proactive, and organized with effective communication skills, who is excited about working with teens in a collaborative, team environment. The MOSAIC Studio Coordinator reports to Blue Star Contemporary’s Education Manager and works in tandem to ensure BSC fulfills its mission to inspire, nurture, and innovate through its core after-school program for high school students.
About the MOSAIC Student Artist Program:
Blue Star Contemporary’s MOSAIC Student Artist Program is an after-school studio intensive art program for high school youth in San Antonio, Texas. The MOSAIC studio experience exposes students to the fundamentals of visual art techniques, provides high-caliber exhibition opportunities, expands networks with arts patrons, partners with area nonprofits and organizations, encourages its participants to act as mentors, and collaborates on public art projects.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Cares for, maintains, and coordinates all aspects of the MOSAIC Studio including art materials, equipment, and gallery
• Coordinates and provides safe and clean teaching environment for day-to-day MOSAIC operations, as well as BSC public programs, facility rentals, and special events
• Maintains contact and connection with MOSAIC Alumni
• Assists lead Visiting Artists in facilitating specialized instruction for MOSAIC Students
• Maintains communication with MOSAIC Student Artists and parents/guardians
• Provides support and mentorship for MOSAIC Student Artists in the development of
artwork and exhibitions
• Coordinates and maintains all student records, including applications, evaluations, and
• Coordinates special MOSAIC programming
• Coordinates MOSAIC exhibitions onsite in the MOSAIC Gallery and offsite in partnership
with collaborating organizations
• 5 years of experience in studio art
• Experience and knowledge of a range of art mediums, as well as familiarity with art
• Experience handling, caring for, and storing artwork
• Experience with fine art installation methods, including exhibition lighting techniques
• Possess excellent communication skills, verbal, and written
• Must enjoy working with high school students and demonstrate confidence in an
instructional studio environment
• Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines
• Knowledge of standard office procedures and equipment, including familiarity with
Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud suite (Photoshop and Illustrator), and file
• Demonstrated organizational and task management skills with attention to detail in a
• Must complete a successful background check
• Conversational and written knowledge of Spanish preferred
• Ability to fulfill demands of a physically demanding workday, including the ability to lift and move heavy objects (more than 30 lbs.), as well as climb ladders
Guided by its mission to inspire the creative genius in all of us by nurturing artists, Blue Star Contemporary is a dynamic, innovative destination for contemporary ideas. Blue Star Contemporary is an equal opportunity employer. The MOSAIC Coordinator is a part-time position (20 hours per week), including evenings and weekends with an hourly rate of $14.50/hour. The position is non-exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act and will receive overtime pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a 7-day work week.
Applicant will submit an application of a CV/resume, the names and contact information of three references, and a thoughtful cover letter that clearly describes your skills and experience to meet the qualifications of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful applicant will be subject to a background check. Application deadline is July 1, 2021.