The Literacy Through Photography Programs Associate is a full-time, exempt member of the FotoFest staff and, with the Literacy Through Photography Programs Director, provides management and coordination to the organization’s learning programs, events, and publications. The Programs Associate is responsible for managing aspects of learning program administration; accounts payable and receivable; community engagement, program marketing (in association with FotoFest’s manager of Engagement and Communications), fundraising assistance (in association with FotoFest’s Development Manager), and Literacy Through Photography event and exhibition management.
The Programs Associate is expected to be an active and visible member of the local arts education communities, and works closely with the Literacy Through Photography Program Director, FotoFest Executive Director, and members of the senior staff to advance the organization’s mission, to execute and develop support for its programs, and to achieve the goals of its strategic plan. The Programs Associate reports directly to the Literacy Through Photography Programs Director.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop long-term advancement strategy with Literacy Through Photography Programs Director and FotoFest Executive Director; establish goals and timeline for programs development, implementation, and funding;
• Administration of learning program funder and organizational agreements, including maintaining and balancing the Literacy Through Photography ledger, managing receivables, working with the Programs Director on payables, and ensuring Literacy Through Photography adheres to the approved budget as set forth by the FotoFest Executive Director and its Board of Directors;
• Update and maintain vendor status with ISDs within Literacy Through Photography direct service area;
• Working in tandem with the Programs Director, ensure that appropriate metrics are obtained and recorded during teaching artist residencies for general program data tracking and individual grant funding requirements;
• Gather images, develop narratives, and supply text for use in reporting;
• Serve as first point of contact for Partnership Coordinators;
• Maintain and update organizational databases as needed with Programs Director;
• Assist Programs Director with management of teaching artists, occasionally providing support, and substituting for teaching artists;
• Center anti-oppressive practices in all departmental business processes, prioritize and advance FotoFest as an anti-racist and anti-oppressive organization;
• Other tasks, as assigned.
• Assist FotoFest Development manager in grant research, proposals, applications, and report writing;
• Assist in coordinating and planning fundraising events with Development Manager, co-chairs, and host committee;
• Solicit funding and in-kind support from individuals and corporations, including sponsorships for key events and programs, as determined with Programs Director and Development Manager;
• Work with FotoFest staff to identify and maintain key relationships.
• Coordinate marketing of the Literacy Through Photography program with the FotoFest Manager of Engagement and Communications and Literacy Through Photography Programs Director, through monthly newsletters, email marketing (Constant Contact), print publications, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), press releases, maintenance of the Literacy Through Photography area of the FotoFest website, and new initiatives. Gather images, develop narratives, and supply text for use in marketing efforts.
• Plan and execute FotoFinish exhibition in tandem with Literacy Through Photography Programs Director, with collaboration of FotoFest staff;
• Plan, coordinate, and implement public events, including fundraisers, initiatives, and workshops, as well as FotoFun family day events in the FotoFest galleries, in tandem with Literacy Through Photography Programs Director and FotoFest Development Manager (if fundraising-related).
• Represent and support FotoFest and Literacy Through Photography in public, including festivals, conferences, and fairs, with support from Programs Director;
• In tandem with Programs Director, deliver outreach presentations to prospective school administrators, students, families, and funders;
• Assist Literacy Through Photography Programs Director in communications with FotoFest teaching artists and school contacts on program logistics;
• Assist Programs Director in scheduling and leading tours of FotoFest exhibitions for school and community groups, engaging groups in educational activities;
• Assist Programs Director in Literacy Through Photography teacher trainings multiple times per year.
• Degree in communications, art administration, photography, education, or a relevant related field, with a knowledge of and enthusiasm for arts education and/or contemporary photography;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Excellent project management skills, including exceptional ability in prioritizing workflow, setting goals for completion of tasks, and managing multiple deadlines;
• Experience in Budgeting and accounts payable/receivable;
• Data management experience highly beneficial, although not necessarily required;
• Exceptional ability to collaborate and work well with others, including FotoFest staff, school administration, community partners, teaching artists, students, and volunteers;
• Ability to work on multiple projects collaboratively in a fast-paced, team-based environment;
• Ability to remain calm under pressure and exhibit talent for problem-solving;
• Ability to work independently as well as take direction;
• Advanced familiarity with PC, Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word, Access), Adobe Creative Suite, and database management. Knowledge of photography and video editing software a plus;
• Ability to meet the physical demands of the position, including lifting heavy objects upwards to 60 pounds and standing on your feet for multiple hours at a time;
• Knowledge and experience using various social media platforms for marketing and community engagement purposes helpful
Candidates with arts education and/or program support experience will be prioritized. The Literacy Through Photography Programs Associate must have a valid Texas driver’s license, reliable transportation and be willing to travel to schools and program sites across greater Houston and other surrounding counties. The Literacy Through Photography Programs Associate is required to pass a Texas DPS background check.
FotoFest is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. This position is full-time exempt and FotoFest offers a full benefits package including Group Medical and Dental Insurance, Paid Time Off, and Holiday Pay. Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm, nights and weekends as programming dictates. Work Location: 2000 Edwards Street, a non-smoking facility; an ability to work remotely is required.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume in Word doc or PDF format to email@example.com . No phone calls please. Applicants whose candidacy is being considered will be contacted. Review of applications will begin immediately.