At this moment, the Texas Weather Disaster of September 2019 has only been recognized as a disaster by the Governor and State of Texas.  So State resources should be the focus of those seeking assistance.  If it is recognized on the federal level, then federal resources will also become available.


Governor’s Office – Disaster Declaration

DPS-Division of Emergency Management – slide deck – Public Funding Documentation Checklist
Note:  Statewide contacts by Region listed on page 9

Legal Assistance and Resources – State Bar of Texas (free)

Price Gouging:  Consumer Protection Division

Texas Campgrounds (information on campgrounds and RV parks with space available for evacuees)

Texas Hotel & Lodging Association (information on lodging with availability)

TXDOT – Drive Texas (current and future highway conditions)

If you find yourself in need of shelter, please call 2 1 1.

Webinar on Texas Historic Building Rehabilitation Program (hint: historical designation is not required).  There is a State version and a Federal version of this program and nonprofits can take advantage of both.


Talk to your insurance company and sign up for federal assistance with FEMA.  Most funders will want documentation that their funding assistance is not already covered by your insurance or FEMA.  So even if your insurance does not provide coverage, having documentation of that is helpful.

Federal Emergency Management Agency

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

FEMA Mobile App
Includes information on open shelters, recovery centers, disaster survival tips, weather alerts, and more.

Federal Disaster Assistance

Small Business Administration (low-interest loans for businesses and homeowners)

Veteran Services


American Red Cross Texas Gulf Coast (Disaster response and open shelters, donate now, give blood)

Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group

Disaster Distress Hotline
Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746

Free general medical info and counseling


Texas Workforce Commission – Disaster Unemployment Assistance
If you lost your job or work because of this disaster, you may be able to apply for unemployment benefits.  You may be eligible for DUA if one of the following occurred as a direct result of the disaster:You lost your job, which was more than 50% of your total income.

  • You live in, work in, or travel through the disaster area.
  • Your place of employment was damaged or closed.
  • You were scheduled to start work but the job no longer exists or you can no longer reach the new job.
  • You suffered injury or incapacitation.
  • You became the breadwinner or major support of the household due to the death of the head of household.


The Actors Fund
Has emergency financial assistance and resources available to everyone who works in performing arts (actors, dancers, musicians, stagehands, playwrights, tech crew, and many more).  Contact:  323-933-9244, ext. 455 or

Alliance for Artists Communities – Emergency Relief Programs
In the event of a natural disaster, the Alliance contacts its network of more than 150 residency programs to identify immediate and short-term availability of residencies. They work with affected artists (painter or sculptor) to take advantage of these residency opportunities, including grants of up to $1,000.

Artists’ Fellowship Financial Assistance
The Artists’ Fellowship provides emergency aid to professional visual artists and their families in times of natural disaster or unexpected extreme hardship. Here is the application form.

CERF+ Emergency Relief for Artists Working In Craft Disciplines
Contact CERF+ at to see if you are eligible for grants up to $6,000, no-interest loans upt to $9,000, and other assistance.

Change, Inc.  – Emergency Grants
Emergency grants of up to $1,000 for artists in all disciplines in need of emergency aid. Evidence of established professional status is required. For detail on how to apply, call 212-473-3742 for recorded instructions.  Send applications to: PO Box 1818, Sanibel, Florida 33957

Adolph & Esther Gottlieb Emergency Grants
The Foundation provides grants to tenured professional visual artists working in the disciplines of painting, sculpture, or printmaking. The maximum amount of this grant is $15,000; an award of $5,000 is typical.

Haven Foundation Grants
The Foundation grants to safeguard and sustain the careers of established freelance artists, writers and other members of the arts and art production communities during times of difficulty.

Hero Initiative – Helping Comic Creators in Need
Applicants must have been working as a comic book writer, penciler, inker, colorist, or letterer on a work-for-hire basis for no less than 10 years to be eligible.

Jazz Foundation of America
The Foundation’s Housing and Emergency Assistance program provides jazz and blues artists with an experienced social worker to assess his/her situation and provide rapid assistance, including financial assistance. Contact: or  212-245-3999

Joan Mitchell Foundation Emergency Support to Artists
The Foundation provides grants of up to $6,000 to artists impacted by natural and man-made disasters.  Here is the emergency grant application.

PEN America
The PEN Writers’ Emergency Fund is an emergency fund for professional—published or produced—writers in acute, emergency financial crisis. Depending on the situation, the Fund gives grants of up to $2,000.

Note:  If you are a member of a professional service organization or guild, reach out to those organizations and see if they offer any type of support.


Hurricane/High Winds
American for the Arts – Preparedness Resources
South Arts – Arts Ready for Arts Organizations


Resources here and here on protecting your health and lungs during hurricane cleanup.

Tips on what to do before, during, and after a Storm

Collection of resources on rebuilding after a disaster

Emergency Response and Salvage Mobile App
Based on the Emergency Response and Salvage Wheel

After the Flood: Advice for Salvaging Damaged Family Treasures

National Heritage Responders Hotline: 202-661-8068
Trained conservators and collections care professionals administered by the Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation, are available 24/7 to provide advice.

Tips on hiring roofing contractors and builders


  • SNAP Card (food stamps): call the Lonestar helpdesk toll-free at 1-800-777-7328.
  • Green Cards: Call 800-375-5283 or click here.
  • Birth and Death Certificates: Call 888-963-7111 or visit this website.
  • Texas Driver’s License: Call 512-424-2600 or click here. See this info on getting free replacement.
  • Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards, or Safe Deposit Boxes: Call 877-275-3342 or click here.
  • Credit Cards: Contact your issuing institution: American Express (800-992-3404), Discover (800-347-2683), MasterCard (800-622-7747), or Visa (800-847-2911).
  • Credit Reports: Contact Equifax, Experian, or Transunion at 877-322-8228 or visit
  • Social Security Card: Call 800-772-1213 or click here.
  • Fraud Alerts or a Credit Freeze: Call 877-438-4338 or click here.
  • Medicare Cards: Call 800-772-1213 or click here.
  • Passport: Call 202-955-0430 or 877-487-2778 or click here.
  • U.S. Savings Bonds: Call 800-722-2678 or 800-553-2663 or click here.
  • Tax Returns: Call 800-829-1040 or click here.
  • Military Records: Call 866-272-6272 or click here.
  • Vehicle Titles: Call 888-368-3689 or click here.
  • Replace a Texas Marriage Record or Certificate: Visit this website for statewide information or visit this site for your issuing Clerk of Court.
  • Proof of Address/Residency: Click here.