In charge of the on time and on budget execution of Scenery for Main Stage, Education and Event productions, including support of Development and Marketing events, at the direction of the Production Manager. This position works in conjunction with the Stage Operations Supervisor to achieve high pace and safe scenery change overs. This position maintains budgets, creates calendars, schedules, hires and supervises technical personnel for all operations at the Nowlin-Renaud Scenic Studios, including Scenery, Paints, and Props shops. This position is responsible for guiding the scenic construction and engineering decisions throughout the design process including automation and special effects. In conjunction with the Assistant Technical Director, the TD produces accurate and detailed drawing packets including ground plans, sections, and construction drawings for all productions. The TD is responsible for the daily operations of the Nowlin-Renaud Scenic Studios supervising the fabrication, prop, and paint shops and their teams and resources.
Great Benefits Offered!
– Employer Paid Healthcare Premiums
– Paid Vacation, Personal & Sick Time
– 401k Matching Program
– Free Parking
– Free Tickets to Shows
• Supervises the Nowlin-Renaud Scenic Studios Scenic, Paint, and Props shops including the building and delivery of all scenery, props, and special effects for all productions. This includes the reviewing, budgeting, scheduling, staffing, drafting, construction, installation, storing, and load out of all theatrical productions.
• Implements Nowlin-Renaud Scenic Studios workplace safety program and develops new protocols and processes to maintain safe and best practices in a dynamic workplace, including holding weekly meetings about safety and current productions
• Supervises all staff of the Nowlin-Renuad Scenic Studios including approval of time sheets, PTO requests, performance feedback, review and growth, and hiring/termination of full-time, part-time, and temporary part-time staff
• Maintains all production equipment, tools, and stock goods, furniture, and scenery at the Nowlin-Renaud Scenic Studios
• Coordinates all facility repairs, maintenance, inspections, and compliance of the Scenic Studios in coordination with the ZACH Facilities Director
• Works effectively with the Stage Operations Supervisor, and other departments to coordinate and achieve safe, efficient, and high paced changeovers
• Keeps the Production Manager informed of any problems within the Scenery Department via weekly budget updates and general sharing of information
• Oversees FIFO Materials Inventory system for Scenic Studios
• Development and maintenance of production and show budgets, as well as the submission of receipts to Finance according to set deadlines and processes
• Responsible for the development of engineering and construction solutions for production design, including automation solutions, structural design, rigging solutions, and material specification and procurement
• Responsible for the development of build schedules and estimates in coordination with the Assistant Technical Director, Props Supervisor, and Lead Scenic Charge.
• Supervises the execution of technical and construction drawings by the Assistant Technical Director for all Scenic, Paints, and Properties
• Orchestrates Load In and attends Technical and Dress Rehearsals, and Design Meetings at the Production Manager’s direction
EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum: 4+ years of progressive scene shop leadership, including budget and hiring experience OR 1+ years of scene shop leadership and MFA in Technical Direction or related field
• Preferred: 6+ years of scene shop leadership, including budget and hiring experience OR 3+ years of scene shop leadership and an MFA in Technical Direction or related field, with specific knowledge of Stage Automation practices, equipment, and techniques
Please visit our website to view full description and benefits: https://zachtheatre.org/about-us/work-with-us/working-at-zach/
To apply: Please send your resume to email@example.com.
As part of our commitment to ensuring an equitable, diverse and inclusive workforce we invite you to voluntarily self-identify in the following categories in a cover letter or note that you include in your email:
Gender: Woman, Man, Genderqueer/Gender non-binary, prefer to self-describe
Pronouns: Please include your pronouns.
Ethnicity: Hispanic or Latino, White (not Hispanic or Latino) Black or African American (not Hispanic or Latino), Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander (not Hispanic or Latino), Asian (not Hispanic or Latino), Native American or Alaska Native (not Hispanic or Latino), Two or more races (not Hispanic or Latino)
ZACH is intending to operate as a fully vaccinated workplace and following CDC guidelines for being up to date on vaccinations, as well as Austin Public Health recommendations.
Salary: $56-$63K, including employer paid healthcare premium cost
Come work at ZACH!
• Be a part of an artistic community of Austin, for Austin, by Austin with over 100 years of producing in the Austin area
• Featuring three theaters: a 420 Proscenium Theatre, 225 Seat Thrust, and 100 Seat Arena
• 20,000 sq ft offsite Scenic Studios with dedicated Carpentry, Welding, Paints, and Props Shops as well as on site Prop Storage
• Commitment to artistically inspiring and innovative work including New Works, Regional and World Premieres, and Theater for Young Audiences